Order Cerelle Online
Cerelle is a progesterone-only contraceptive pill. It contains 1 hormone: progesterone. This type of pill is also known as a mini pill.
Cerelle might be a good option if the combined contraceptive pill is not suitable for you – for example if you’re over 35 and you smoke.
You can order Cerelle online using a simple questionnaire if you are aged between 16 and 50 and female. One of our doctors will review your order and approve appropriate treatment.
We can then deliver your pills to you, or you can pick them up in any Superdrug store or from a post office.
To place an order, fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment.
|Cerelle - 3 months||£19|
|Cerelle - 6 months||£28|
Prices include prescription and delivery.
In a hurry? Choose Click and Collect and pick up your order after just 4 hours from a Superdrug Pharmacy.
But Cerelle is closer to 91% effective in practice because:
- you sometimes might forget to take one
- you might take it at a different time than usual
- if you’re sick (you vomit) or have diarrhoea that can make the pill less effective
- Start taking Cerelle on the 1st day of your period
- Cerelle comes in a strip of 28 tablets marked with the days of the week: take a pill each day at the same time
- Don’t take a break between pill packs
What should I do if I miss a pill?
- If you miss a pill and remember within 12 hours, just take it straight away and take the next pill at the usual time
- If you miss a pill and remember 12 hours or more after you’d normally take it, you may not be fully protected from pregnancy
- Take the pill as soon as you remember, even if that means taking 2 in one day
- For the next 48 hours use an extra method of contraception like a condom, and continue to take your pills as usual
If you start Cerelle in the 1st 5 days of your period you will be protected from pregnancy straight away.
You can also start Cerelle after day 5 of your period, but in this case you will need to use condoms for the 1st 2 days to protect yourself from pregnancy.
Some people experience side effects when taking Cerelle.
- Common side effects will usually stop after 3 months
- If the side effects continue after 3 months or if they become worse, then you should speak to a doctor
- A doctor can help determine whether your side effects are caused by something else or if there is an another form of contraception which may suit you better
Common side effects:
- changes in your mood
- reduced sex drive (libido)
- breast pain
Uncommon side effects:
- vaginal infection
- contact lens intolerance
- dysmenorrhoea (painful periods)
- ovarian cysts
Rare side effects:
- erythema nodosum
There is a small chance that you will put on weight when you start taking Cerelle, but there is no significant evidence to support this.
Cerelle is not suitable for everyone. You may not be able to take it if you:
- are allergic to desogestrel or any of the other ingredients
- have undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- have or have had jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes)
- have had or are suspected of having breast cancer
- have lupus (SLE: systemic lupus erythematosus)
- have had an ectopic pregnancy
You should let the doctor know if you have any medical conditions, so they can safely prescribe you Cerelle. If you have concerns you should discuss these with your doctor.
Some medications can change the effectiveness of Cerelle. These include:
- some antibiotics and antivirals
- blood pressure medication
You should let your doctor know if you’re on any medication, herbal remedies or over the counter treatments, so they can safely prescribe you Cerelle.
There’s a list of medications that can affect Cerelle in the patient information leaflet.
If you take Cerelle you have a higher risk of:
- Ovarian cysts – these fluid-filled sacs in your ovaries can become large and may cause significant pain if they burst, but often get better naturally. The progesterone in Cerelle may promote cysts forming
If you’re worried about this risk, you should talk about your options with the doctor prescribing you Cerelle.
Can I drink alcohol on Cerelle?
You can drink alcohol while taking Cerelle. It will not make it less effective or increase the risk of side effects.
Drinking too much alcohol can cause health problems though, so it’s best to follow guidelines on how much to drink.
Can I take painkillers on Cerelle?
You can take over the counter painkillers such as ibuprofen and paracetamol when you are taking Cerelle. These painkillers will not change the effectiveness of the pill, and they will not increase the likelihood of you getting side effects from Cerelle.
Can I take the morning after pill on Cerelle?
Can I delay my period when I’m taking Cerelle?
You cannot use Cerelle to delay your period, but there are other options for period delay, such as Norethisterone. This should not be taken though, if there is a family history of breast cancer, if you suffer from migraines or high blood pressure, are at risk of blood clots, or have a high BMI.
If you want to delay your period while taking Cerelle, it’s best to discuss the options with your GP.
Can I take Cerelle if I’m breastfeeding?
Cerelle can be used while breastfeeding. It will not affect the quality or production of your breast milk, though a small amount of the active ingredient in Cerelle will be passed from your breast milk to the baby. Studies have shown that Cerelle does not cause any harm to babies and small children who are being breastfed.
Cerelle 75 Microgram film-coated tablets (2019) EMC [accessed 17 March 2020]
Contraception (2018) NHS [accessed 17 March 2020]
Contraception Choices (2020) UCL [accessed 17 March 2020]
Contraception – combined hormonal methods (2019) NICE [accessed 17 March 2020]
Contraception – progestogen-only methods (2019) NICE [accessed 17 March 2020]
Hormonal contraceptives (2019) NICE [accessed 17 March 2020]
Mini pill (2020) UCL [accessed 17 March 2020]
Progestin-only contraceptives: effects on weight (2016) Cochrane [17 March 2020]
The progestogen-only pill (2018) NHS [accessed 17 March 2020]